Attorney Angela Singleton - Oklahoma City Criminal Defense

What Can Someone Do To Mitigate Their Case After An Arrest?

The first thing to remember is that you never want to make any statements in a potential criminal charge. This includes statements to police, people you may meet while in custody, statements to family members over jail phones or statements to any alleged victims. We often want to explain ourselves, but telling anyone, besides an attorney, can be used against you.

Second, you want to hire an attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can advocate for you from the very beginning. They can be a guide through the criminal justice system. And a good attorney can offer a sense of relief, knowing you have someone on your side fighting for you.

How Can I Discover Where A Friend Or Family Member Has Been Taken After An Arrest?

Typically, you can determine where your loved one was taken by who arrested them. If it was a state or city police agency, they would be taken to either the city jail or county jail in which they were arrested. If it were a federal law enforcement agency, then they would have been taken to a federal holding facility. Most likely you will not be able to make contact with your family member. However, an attorney or bondsman may be able to contact them and begin the process of getting them released.

Should I Contact An Attorney Immediately After An Arrest?

Contacting an attorney as soon as possible will give you or your loved one the advantage of having someone fighting and protecting you from the very beginning. Often people try to navigate the system on their own in the beginning, and they become lost or make mistakes that could cost them later. Which is why you need an attorney as soon as possible.

When you are looking for a qualified attorney, you want to look for a couple of things. First, do they have experience? You need an attorney who has trial experience, experience negotiating with prosecutors and has been in front of judges. This will be an indication that you are hiring a criminal defense attorney. You wouldn’t hire a foot doctor to operate on your elbow, so never hire a civil or family lawyer to do a criminal case.

Second, talk with friends and family about attorneys they have used before and look at reviews of attorneys other people have posted on the internet. It is easy to call the first name that comes up in a google search, but make sure you getting someone with experience and someone you feel comfortable with.

Can An Attorney Help Get My Friend Or Family Member Out Of Jail Right Away?

Yes. An attorney is a person who can ask the court to lower a bond, ask for pre-trial release programs, and talk with the prosecutor about the filing of charges. The sooner you get an attorney, the sooner they can fight for you.

Can I Hire Someone Else If I Am Not Satisfied With The Services Of The Attorney I Initially Hired?

Absolutely. Sometimes an attorney isn’t the right fit. It is important that you feel comfortable with the attorney and trust in their experience and skill. And most attorneys understand that sometimes changes need to happen and that is part of the job. The most important thing to remember is that any attorney you hire needs to have the knowledge and experience to help guide you through the criminal justice system.

For more information on Mitigating A Case After An Arrest, a free initial consultation with a criminal defense lawyer is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (855) 748-8771 today.